Intermediate Hands-On Training for CBRNE Incidents
Emergency Management, Emergency Medical Services, Fire Service, Governmental Administrative, Healthcare, Law Enforcement, Public Health, Public Safety Communications, and Public Works. This course is not designed for Hazardous Materials Technicians.
The Intermediate Hands-On Training for Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear and Explosive (CBRNE) Incidents course provides participants with hands-on practical exercises that reinforce their ability to perform triage and decontamination procedures and classify residual contamination using various monitoring equipment. As part of the one-day course, participants also perform mass-casualty, decontamination, and monitoring operations within a toxic-agent training facility while wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) Level C. The HOT-I course reinforces the skills that are necessary for a safe and effective response to a CBRNE incident.
Below are some, but not all, of the critical skill sets learned during this training program:
- Use PPE in a CBRNE environment.
- Operate sampling and monitoring equipment to detect both radiological and chemical contaminates.
- Conduct mass casualty triage operations while wearing PPE.
- Conduct mass decontamination and technical decontamination operations.
No in-person offerings are currently scheduled.
Prerequisites and Requirements
To be eligible for the course, the student must successfully complete the following courses:
- AWR-160, WMD/Terrorism Awareness for Emergency Responders, and;
- CDP courses that provide CBRNE response training, such as PER-267 Emergency Medical Operations for CBRNE Incidents.
Participants should be able to
- Don and doff PPE Level C,
- Don and doff self-contained breathing apparatus,
- Lift 40 pounds or more, and
- Meet the CDP medical criteria.
Continuing Education Credits
The Center for Domestic Preparedness (CDP) is an Accredited Provider (AP) of Continuing Education Units (CEU) and is authorized to award the following CEUs for successful completion of this activity:
IACET (International Association of Continuing Education and Training) – 0.8 CEUs