Standardized Awareness Training Program
The Standardized Awareness Training Program (SAT) is a one-day course that supports the parallel course, the Standardized Awareness Authorized Training, Train-the Trainer (SAAT) course, the purpose of which is to provide supervisors and trainers with the information and skills required to instruct the SAT course at their local jurisdictions. The course covers the knowledge of essential course material on chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and explosive (CBRNE) hazards and materials, prevention and deterrence methods, and the Emergency Response Guidebook (ERG) in order to make decisions at the awareness level.
Below are some, but not all, of the critical skill sets learned during this training program:
- Identify terms and concepts that are applicable to the prevention and deterrence of terrorist and CBRNE incidents.
- Identify hazardous materials, hazard classes, and response information using the Emergency Response Guidebook.
- Discuss selected chemical and biological agents, including the physiological signs and symptoms of exposure, potential sources, indicators of an attack, and physical characteristics.
- Discuss radiation and radiological materials.
- Discuss explosives, including the characteristics and the effects of a detonated explosive device.
Emergency Management, Emergency Medical Services, Fire Service, Governmental Administrative, Hazardous Materials, Healthcare, Law Enforcement, Public Health, Public Safety Communications, Public Health, and Federal, State, Local and Tribal agencies.
Prerequisites and Requirements
To be eligible for the course, the student must successfully complete the following courses:
- IS-100.b, Introduction to Incident Command System, IS-100; and
- IS-700.b, National Incident Management System, An Introduction, IS-700].
Continuing Education Credits
The Center for Domestic Preparedness (CDP) is an Accredited Provider (AP) of Continuing Education Units (CEU) and is authorized to award the following CEUs for successful completion of this activity:
IACET (International Association of Continuing Education and Training) – 0.8 CEUs